Archives

Be sure to check the archives on the right side of the page for older blogs..

Monday, August 20, 2012

ROCK AND ROLL!!

Now that I have your attention LOL...

Today was interesting. I got up, took a bath ( odd cause i prefer showers_) and was going to have an easy day, sit around relax, go have lunch with Karen.... Look and see if I'm getting rich from all these Internet sites I have been playing with for the past few days, look at my blogs... lazy day..
Just before lunch I got a call from an old client asking me to go to Merkel and do a media player at a medical site. The player was dead and a new one is on site. I have done a gazillion of these so I can do them without documentation and usually in about 30-45 minutes. So, I accept it for after lunch, scramble to print out the work order , run to the other end of the house and get dressed, Pray i was not forgetting anything  and finally get out the door, 20 minutes later than I had wanted to. All in all not too bad..
Usually, if i get distracted , I can be hours late... So this was a good Monday LOL.. I managed to stall Karen long enough when she called to race to Subway in time to get our order and make it to her by 23 minutes after 12. A personal best...
We had lunch, I got gas, checked mail, ventured off to Merkel. I did the replacement without a hitch.
I was surprised to learn the remote monitoring service for this network had moved from Canada to my home Town of NYC , or as we like to call it  "The City".. So some schmoozing with my homeys was in order during the on site call in, it was kind of fun..
Because they did not know if the player was the only issue we do what is called a connectivity test where I bring a laptop in and connect it to the Internet where the player sits and I test the connection from the player to media server in New York.. When i got done, I put the net-book i used on the fold out on my ladder and finished hanging the new player.
When i went over the the other side of the room, a small patient ( 8 year old child) took my net-book and went into another waiting area... NOW, in New York, we call that stealing, but here in "lets enable our children and never ever c=scold them for anything they do so they an grow up to be serial killers TEXAS"
They just laugh it off..... Oh, She just thought it was one of the medical check in thingies.....
I'm sorry, so she thought it was hospital equipment so she stole it and that's?? funny somehow?
OK, I BET YOU THINK i AM OVER REACTING HERE , BUT HANG ON...
This did not happen in just a few seconds.. Oh no...
I placed the laptop on the shelf on the step ladder especially designed to hold this laptop,,, finished hanging the media player behind the display ( 47 inch plasma TV) Then took a step 3 FEET away and turned my back,, then turned back around and it was gone...
Id id not notice it immediately, because I was watching the display to see if the media center ( small PC type device) was going to boot up, and eventually show the media presentation it was supposed to ( Diabetic health information)... Once i say it was working I packaged the old unit in the box the new one came in, put it on the shelf at the check in window next to the step ladder and called remote monitoring service to see if they could see it, rebooted the player once to assure it would come back up and then, while watching it come up I glanced down and noticed, not net-book... Understand, this was about 15-20 minutes everyone there was watching me.
this was a 10x10 room with two separate areas with everyone able to see me the entire time...
When i noticed it missing i looked to the immediate area around the stand, there where two Spanish speaking people , older both handicapped, neither holding a net-book, but looking nervous none the less..
I asked them in Mexican where my laptop was, and the both just shrugged their shoulders...
My second Wife was from this town, and My Current wife went to school here so I have been her several times and know some people including the old sheriff, so, I said call the police my laptop is missing I'M not leaving until I find it... The guys on the phone thought it was amazing that someone could steal my laptop right out from under my nose since I was from new york, and retired military and former inelegance agency trained... It was not until I walked into management and asked for the sheriff by name did they reach out and hand me my net-book... Now realize this town might have 300 people in it and I know about 40 of them.. And was related to about 20 of them by marriage.. And they still acted like that.... So yes I was a little upset...( OK more like panic from hell) Amazingly though, I did not throw a fit, or make a big deal about it... I was thinking an amazing amount of things I could have, would have, should have said..
But I figured it would fall on deaf ears... Especially unless I said it in perfect Mexican.
I am not FROM that town, and therefore an outsider ( guyjin) just like in Asia..

Point?...

If your one of us, you can imagine what was going on in my mind... ((PANIC) FEAR)
In our minds we panic.. We don't know for certain if we actually had the laptop there or not I guess..
All I can tell you for certain. Before I got this way, I would not have reacted with fear, but rather would have known exactly what to do and I would have done it seamlessly and effortlessly and found a way to make the mother feel guilty, get an apology from the facility and not felt like crap when I finally got my but out of the facility and into my Van to make all the phone calls to close the work order.
This is a private long standing direct bill contract I have had for about 12 years, so, I have work orders in addition to the contract and deliverable.

I wonder how much longer I will be able to work?
At least Merkel i s right out side of Abilene, If i did get lost I would not be that far away.

My newest habit is to only get enough gas for today..
My rationalization is, if I do veg out, at least I wont get too far on a quarter of a tank..

I am amazed I managed to design and monetized and get a website out for Karen... If you bored go look!
at it (please excuse my spelling while trying to reserve hand register her website at 3am this morning)
http://karemt-toms.best3weightloss.com/

Let me know what you think of it...

TTYL
TTFN

Oh yes I was in SEVERAL rock bands in the 60's and 70's, and sat in with several famous bands and musicians in my life up into the 80's... And even did some time with the USO shows, lived in New York city, did summer stock, Central park, Soho, Improve, Off Broadway ad some opera and many many years of Volunteer community and repertory theater, as well as on every major and many minor stages in New York area in the 60's. Was in at LEAST one movie, and about 10 news releases including some in my home in Texas, My interview after the Haitian insanity was on CNN, and I am not sure HOW many U.N.H.C.R. and U.S.O. Videos. Countless military videos, home videos Had an award named after my family (The Toms Family Award) in Germany buy the Department of the Army,and  have two flag's flown over capitals for me specifically, one American Flag by president Clinton and signed by Him ( even though I did not particularly like working for him nor did I particularly like him), and one Texas Flag Flown over our state capital by Our own Distinguished Representative Bob Hunter of Texas. And was on stage in a play with now senator Susan King in 1995-1996. Just to name a few lol..
And to put the cherry on the cake, I was one of the winners of the twist dance off contest at the annual Alzheimer's fund raiser this year, and have the t-shirt to prove it  LOL

May God bless you and your loved ones and watch over you all this night and keep you safe and may you all wake up in the morning...

Nite





No comments:

Post a Comment